If you have a contract with Michigan Housing and you would like to change where you are living, there are a couple of available options:
- Wait List - During select times of the year, you can add your name and desired residence location to a waitlist. If a room opens up, you will receive an email from Housing
- Room Swap - If you find a person who would like to swap with you, you can follow a Housing process to switch rooms.
- Reassignment - If you wish to leave Michigan Housing and you find an eligible student without a housing contract who is interested, Michigan Housing will contract with the new student and release you from further contractual obligation.
If you have a current Housing Contract and would like to move to a different room or apartment, you may place your name on a waitlist.
Wait List applications are first made available at the start of the academic term. On the application, you can preference several buildings and room types. Applications received during the window indicated below will be randomly assigned a waitlist position on each individual building waitlist.
- Fall Term 2019: September 10 - 11
- Winter Term 2020: January 9 - 10
Priority for open spaces is as follows:
- Residents currently living in temporary spaces
- Residents remaining on the waitlist from the previous Returning Resident Process
- Residents who want to remain in their living complex (hall or apartment)
- All other residents
Michigan Housing reserves the right to make an assignment to a vacant space outside of the waitlist process when it is determined necessary.
If we have a space to offer, you will receive an email from the Housing Information Office. Please respond to the email within 24 hours or you risk losing the space. If you refuse the space offered, your name will be removed from the waitlist. Any fraudulent use of the waitlist process will result in your name being removed from all waitlists.
If you accept the offer of new living space and you complete the required check out procedures, you will have no further contractual responsibility for the space you leave. Your name will be removed from all waitlists. If your new space has a different billing rate, the new rate will take effect the day your new assignment begins.
Room swaps are allowed between U-M enrolled students with signed Housing contracts. You may swap rooms in the same hall, between two different halls or between a residence hall and Northwood III apartment. You must be eligible for the space and abide by all community standards for the room or apartment. You cannot swap into a vacant space.
If the swap results in a change in housing type, you will be billed (or credited) based on the rate of the space into which you are moving.
You are responsible for finding a person with whom to swap rooms. To help you along, we facilitate an online room swap bulletin board. Room swaps may be initiated at any time of the year with two exceptions:
- Swaps requested after August 15 need to wait until fall semester move-in.
- Swaps may not be requested in the last two weeks of the academic term.
Here’s how the process works:
- Post an online ad. Include info on the type of swap you’re interested in making.
- Review posted ads from others.
- When you find a match, email email@example.com to initiate the process if before August 14. If you are swapping after move-in, both residents should go together to either resident’s Community Center. All swaps must be authorized by Michigan Housing.
Before and during the Fall Term, contracts may be reassigned to newly admitted, eligible students without a housing contract. Other academic terms, contracts may be reassigned to any eligible student without a housing contract.
Use the Housing Contract Reassignment Bulletin Board to offer or look for a contract reassignment. Once you find an interested party, you are responsible for making contact with each other and discussing the details. The student with the contract should then contact the Housing Information Office to request contract reassignment documents. When requesting the forms, include the name and UMID of the enrolled student who would like to take over the contract. The forms must be filled out completely, submitted and approved by the Housing Information Office.
Offers of monetary compensation, incentives, or rewards in a contract reassignment ad are strictly prohibited. Such offers on ads will result in ad removal from the bulletin board, and the student may be barred from submitting ads in the future.
There is no guarantee you will be successful in making or finding a contract reassignment.