If you have a contract with Michigan Housing and you would like to change where you are living, there are a couple of available options:
- Room Change - During your occupancy on-campus, you can request to change room to a vacant room if available or when one becomes available.
- Room Swap - If you find a person who would like to swap with you, you can follow a Housing process to switch rooms. (Not Available for Winter 2021)
- Reassignment - If you wish to leave Michigan Housing and you find an eligible student without a housing contract who is interested, Michigan Housing will contract with the new student and release you from further contractual obligation. (Not Available for Winter 2021)
If you have a current Housing Contract and would like to move to a different vacant room, you may submit the Room Change Request Form on the Student Housing Portal. On the Room Change Request Form, you can describe your preference for the area, building, and room type. If the room change request results in a change of housing/room type, you will be billed (or credited) based on the rate of the space into which you are moving.
Priority for open spaces is as follows:
- Residents currently living in temporary spaces
- Residents who want to remain in their living complex (hall or apartment)
- All other residents
Michigan Housing reserves the right to make an assignment to a vacant space outside of the room change process when it is determined necessary.
If we have a space to offer, you will receive an email from the Housing Information Office. Please respond to the email within 24 hours to secure the space. Any fraudulent use of the change request process will result in your name being removed from the process.
If you accept the offer of new living space and you complete the required check out procedures, you will have no further contractual responsibility for the space you leave. If your new space has a different billing rate, the new rate will take effect the day your new assignment begins.
ROOM SWAP(Unavailable Winter 2021)
Room swaps are allowed between U-M enrolled students with signed Housing contracts. You may swap rooms in the same hall, between two different halls or between a residence hall and Northwood III apartment. You must be eligible for the space and abide by all community standards for the room or apartment. You cannot swap into a vacant space.
If the swap results in a change in housing type, you will be billed (or credited) based on the rate of the space into which you are moving.
You are responsible for finding a person with whom to swap rooms. To help you along, we facilitate an online room swap bulletin board. Room swaps may be initiated at any time of the year with two exceptions:
- Swaps requested after August 15 need to wait until fall semester move-in.
- Swaps may not be requested in the last two weeks of the academic term.
Here’s how the process works:
- Post an online ad. Include info on the type of swap you’re interested in making.
- Review posted ads from others.
- When you find a match, email firstname.lastname@example.org to initiate the process if before August 14. If you are swapping after move-in, both residents should go together to either resident’s Community Center. All swaps must be authorized by Michigan Housing.
REASSIGNMENT (Unavailable Winter 2021)
Before and during the Fall Term, contracts may be reassigned to newly admitted, eligible students without a housing contract. Other academic terms, contracts may be reassigned to any eligible student without a housing contract.
Use the Housing Contract Reassignment Bulletin Board to offer or look for a contract reassignment. Once you find an interested party, you are responsible for making contact with each other and discussing the details. The student with the contract should then contact the Housing Information Office to request contract reassignment documents. When requesting the forms, include the name and UMID of the enrolled student who would like to take over the contract. The forms must be filled out completely, submitted and approved by the Housing Information Office.
Offers of monetary compensation, incentives, or rewards in a contract reassignment ad are strictly prohibited. Such offers on ads will result in ad removal from the bulletin board, and the student may be barred from submitting ads in the future.
There is no guarantee you will be successful in making or finding a contract reassignment.