FAQ - Returning Resident Housing 2024
Q: Why can't I select a room during the Returning Resident Housing room selection?
- A Returning Resident Housing application was not submitted. Please note the deadline to apply has passed.
- Not in compliance with the University Vaccination Policy. Check your status via Vax Viewer. This data gets updated once per day prior to 8:00 AM.
- If you are in the system as a roommate group, rooms will show for your size group only. You will have to exit the group in order to search for rooms as an individual.
- If you are in the system as an individual (not part of a group), all rooms may have been selected. We will send an email when this occurs. See "There are no rooms available at my time of selection" below for advised next steps.
Q: Why can’t I select a room with my preferred roommate?
- You are eligible for the space but your roommate is not (such as a Michigan Learning Community).
- The room is designated for a specific gender identity and one roommate does not match that identity in the system.
- There are not any rooms remaining that match the size of your roommate group. If this occurs, try leaving the roommate group and continue searching.
Q: I cannot find any rooms close to my place of worship
- The self-selection process allows students to see what is available. We are not able to offer other rooms at this time.
Q: I cannot find any rooms that meet my medical needs.
- As the Returning Resident Housing process is self-selection, the expectation is that you are aware of your needs and should self-select a space that meets those needs. Please be aware this may mean selecting a space that does not meet all of your needs. Should you require additional accommodations assistance, please contact email@example.com.
Q: If I am in an MLC or Theme Community, can I live with a roommate who is not part of that community?
- Unfortunately no. Spaces within these communities are reserved for those who have applied and been admitted into these programs.
Q: How can I plan for 2024-2025 rates?
- See information here: Undergraduate Room and Board Rates
Q: There are no rooms available at my time of selection. What should I do?
- Please begin looking off-campus for housing, if you have not begun doing so already.
- We encourage participation in an off-campus housing fair.
- M Housing will keep your application on file in case spaces open up. The number of spaces that open up has historically been small.
Q: What happens if I don't sign my contract?
- Contracts must be signed by 5 PM on February 9, 2024. Any contracts not signed by this date will be cancelled and the person will need to seek off-campus housing.
Q: I'd like to be considered for another room. What should I do?
- If you are seeking a room change prior to the start of Fall 2024, please fill out the Room Change Request form on the Housing Portal on February 12, 2024.
- You must have a signed contract to participate in this process.
We are not able to guarantee a room change. However, if we know your preferences, we can change your assignment if a space becomes available. A room change can occur any time before move-in and we will notify you through your UM email account once the change has been processed.
A room change, once made, is binding. Please do not submit a request form if you are not sure of your request. If you change your mind before a new assignment has been made, contact us immediately at firstname.lastname@example.org and request that we cancel your request form.
Q: My question is not answered here. Who do I contact?
- Please reach out via our contact us form.
- If your question is time sensitive, please call us between the hours of 9am to 4:30pm: 734-763-3164